Monday, April 22, 2013

Pastel-apolooza.

Spring has sprung! 

This is probably not news to you. I am late with this news. I don't even think it qualifies as news anymore. I sometimes feel that Miami has no clearly defined Spring (We have two main seasons: Summer and Not Summer), but t
his year I'm determined to celebrate the tail end of Spring (as I type we're at 83% humidity) by turning to something I would not usually be excited about: Pastels!

I wanted to share a few of the nail products I have acquired recently...



L-R: Covergirl Peaches & Cream, L'oreal Cream Puffs, L'oreal Pistachio Dreams, Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil


Covergirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss in Peaches & Cream
I got this lovely nail polish** from the Easter Bunny (read: Mami)! This is not a shade I would usually gravitate toward, but there is something so darling about peach(es). This nail polish is a high shine, opaque peach with no glitter or shimmer. It's saturated and not as milky as some other peach polishes I have seen recently. I am excited about this color because it is not only a nice Spring shade, but I think this polish will carry me well into Summer. Also, Mila Kunis is wearing a similar shade of nail polish in her March Allure photo shoot and it looks slam-bang on her!

L'oreal Paris Colour Riche Nail Colour in Cream Puffs, Versailles Romance Collection
The full Versailles Romance Collection has some gorgeous shades so I was surprised that the two more non-traditional shades (this one and Pistachio Dreams) appealed to me the most! Never did I ever think I would purchase pastel yellow nail polish. It's just never been my go-to since I am fair-skinned and feel it would wash me out. I remember when I was a little girl, my beautiful cousin Nora painted her nails a pale yellow shade called "Chick Pea" and all I felt was envy. The color looked so dainty and feminine against her glowing, tan skin. I feel like I'm finally brave enough for this shade! Creme Puffs is different from your typical pastel yellow, because it's actually an opalescent polish, which adds to the complexity of the shade.

L'oreal Paris 
Colour Riche Nail Colour in Pistachio Dreams, Versailles Romance Collection
I have been loving the Spring trend of mint tips! My sweet friend Ayesha, convinced me to get swept up in the movement and now I own this! I personally see more blue tones than green tones in this shade when I swatched it on my nails versus the color I see in the bottle (am I totally wrong on this?) but I still think it looks really nice. Like Cream Puffs, Pistachio Dreams is an opalescent polish so it catches a beautiful sheen when you see it in the light. I think blues and greens are the colors I wear the least on my nails, so I'm excited to manicure out of the box.

Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil

I tend to have dry skin and even drier cuticles and my past moisturizing routines have not been helping my nails. I have also noticed that my nails are getting brittle and cracking at the tips when I grow them out, so I am hoping that a more targeted focus on my cuticles will stop this from happening. This cuticle oil is a pale orange oil that smells fruity but subtle enough so it's not overwhelming. What I love most about this oil is that it is not too runny so you have enough time to brush all your cuticles without having a drippy oil situation. It is also pretty fast absorbing, so you don't have to sit around with oily hands. These are the things I worry about, people!


Okay, so it's manicure time and I need your help choosing which polish to try first. Please comment and let me know which one you think it should be! Merci!





Hugs! V.

**When I listen to our UK friends discuss nail polish they refer to it as "nail varnish" which actually makes it sound way more posh and glamorous, wouldn't you agree?

5 comments: