Wednesday, May 1, 2013

April Beauty Favorites!

April, you've been good to me. This post is dedicated to all the beauty items I was loving all last month!

Laura Geller Balance and Brighten Powder Foundation in Fair

Before I go any further I have to confess that, even as a beauty product connoisseur, for the longest time I was not inherently a believer in liquid foundation. It's taken me some time to warm up to the idea that putting more than one "oily" product on my face could be a good thing. No need to worry, I now regularly use liquid foundations, but I do get a burst of excitement when I hear about powder products that do more than set liquid foundation or blot away oil. THIS IS THAT PRODUCT! This is a marbled, liquid foundation that is baked solid (It kind of looks like the surface of Jupiter, you have to admit). It did indeed work to even out the redness around my nose and cheeks and made my skin look super smooth. The coverage appears to be buildable so you might be alright if you're looking for medium coverage, but I got away with a good, once-over buffing and it looked great (FYI: I used Benefit The POREfessional Primer under this). If you layered this over liquid foundation it would definitely give you a full coverage look. When I first put this foundation on, it appeared to be pretty matte, but I definitely noticed my natural oils coming through after about 4 hours of wear, so it does gradually give a lovely, natural finish to the skin. It also feels incredible light so it's perfect for those of you who don't want to be weighed down by a ton of product. There are only two downfalls that I can see: 1. The color selection is limited as it only comes in 4 shades (Porcelain, Fair, Medium, and Tan) so you might have an issue trying to match your own tone. Might. And 2. It is powdery so when you swirl your brush in the pan, there is a lot of powder that loosens making it easy to waste some of the product if you don't pick up the excess before you swirl some up again. The latter downfall is minor though so go try it out!



Tarte Park Avenue Princess Matte Bronzer

I have been on the prowl for a matte bronzer to wear in the daytime and I am so glad I found this product (NARS Laguna is usually my go-to, but I feel the shimmer is too much for my day job). This is a matte, waterproof bronzer that has a bit of a warm undertone, but it doesn't make my skin look orange! Bonus! It's also just such a beautiful, beautiful contour shade for a casual day look. I really like the faux leather packaging and especially the magnetic enclosure, which really makes the compact feel secure and not like it's gonna bust open when you toss it in your bag. Also, this bronzer looks like it would really complement many different skin tones and it does indeed look awesome with the Balance and Brighten Foundation mentioned above.



Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in 14 & Rimmel Stay Glossy in Endless Night

I included these two products together as one favorite because while they are nice on their own, I love the look of them together for a glamorous nude lip. The lipstick is a neutral shade (maybe more brown than pink?) with a demi-matte finish. It does tend to be a bit drying, so if you are worried about it accentuating fine lines on your lips, just pop on some lip balm or before you apply it and you should be good to go. The lip gloss is definitely more brown-toned and contains tiny glitter particles. The consistency is pretty sticky, but it does last a good couple of hours without needing to be retouched.





No Flash!
Flash!



Real Techniques Powder Brush

If you are looking for a new powder brush, this is it!! The taklon bristles are very soft, and the size of the brush head is perfect for applying powder all over the face. Also, the aluminum handle is easy to grip and lightweight making it ideal for travel. Maybe what I love most about this brush is that it cost me about $10. Seriously, this powder brush is like Tom Hanks: solid, dependable, and will always deliver a great performance.



Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips Bronzer in Vegas Strip

Wow! Wow. This is for my highlight lovers out there. This product really leaves you GLOWING and is most luscious (yep, luscious) when swept across the cheekbones. It really gives a beautiful look whether you wear it lightly or whether you really want to glam it up a bit and apply it more heavily. While the packaging of this product looks very plastic-ky, I really like that the acrylic compact allows you to see the shimmer strips through the top. This Shimmer Strips line has been out for a WHILE and I think the names of the other colors from the line are pretty adorable (Sunset Strip, Riviera Strip, Malibu Strip, Miami Strip, Waikiki Strip. Someone needs to talk me out of purchasing the rest of the shades!). I know that this is marketed as a bronzer, but it just works so well as a highlight and I imagine you could also use the individual strips as eye shadows. Triple win.



Joy for Soy Candle, Lavender and Citrus

This is a non-beauty item, but I have to share it with you! I have been trying to buy only soy-based candles in the wake of the burgeoning body of research about toxins in household products including paraffin-based candles (check out this CNN article here) so I am always overJOYed (ha!) when I find really fragrant soy candles. I bought this pillar candle at TJ Maxx (for a bank-breaking $5.99) and it is probably one of the most delicious candles I have ever owned. Lavender is one of my favorite scents and this candle makes my room smell delicious while still being subtle. It's definitely the type of candle that makes you literally stop and enjoy the scent every time you walk into a room. It gives off this overall pleasant scent that is definitely noticeable but not offensive. I smell the lavender way more than the citrus, which is a bit underwhelming considering the party for your nose that is the lavender-citrus combo, but the candle is nonetheless really great and a steal.



I would love to know what beauty items have made YOUR list of favorites this month, so please comment and let me know!

Cheers, V.

Bonus Bits

  • I had my cousin Mari Epi and her fiance Juanpi visit over the weekend and I had a BLAST seeing them and just hanging out. 
  • This weekend we also celebrated my Mom and my niece's birthdays! Lots of celebrating!
  • Current track: "Outlaw Heart" by Tiger Army. I can't resist Nick 13's voice.
  • Happy Wednesday!
-------------
EDIT: My lovely coworker, Shaneisha, asked me to note where I purchased these products so....

Laura Geller Balance and Brighten Foundation: I bought this at Ulta, but sometimes they have specials on LG products on QVC.

Tarte Park Avenue Princess Bronzer: Available at Ulta and Sephora.

Rimmel lipstick+ lip gloss: Available at Ulta, Target, or any drug store.

Real Techniques Brush: Available at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Ulta.

Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips: Available at Ulta, Target, or any drug store.

Joy for Soy Candle: TJ Maxx!

4 comments:

  1. I love your reviews! They are so detailed and it's a good variety of products, not to mention your writing is excellent. You're quickly becoming my favorite beauty blogger (and not just because I know how awesome you are in person too! lol).

    As for my favorite products right now, they're actually ones you recommended to me: Revlon Colorstay Foundation and Benefit They're Real! mascara. I know I was a little underwhelmed with the mascara at first, but it's really grown on me. I've been getting compliments on my lashes and it's usually when I'm wearing that one. And the Revlon foundation is AMAZING! My skin hasn't been looking oily at all. I also have 2 favorite bronzers right now. They're both very budget-friendly, to say the least. Wet 'n Wild Coloricon Bronzer in Ticket to Brazil is a great matte bronzer. I was looking for one too so I can start playing around with contouring. This one is great. The other one is e.l.f. Golden Bronzer and I've been using that on my cheekbones on the days I don't want to use blush. I'm pretty sure they were both around $3.

    I'm going to look for that candle in TJ Maxx. Oh! That reminds me of my other favorite thing right now. A Bath and Body Works/White Barn candle: French Baguette. I found it in the clearance bins at the Bath and Body Works outlet at Dolphin Mall. It smells delicious!

    So I didn't mean to do a full blown review/blog entry on your comment section, lol! I'll be looking forward to your next post and hopefully we'll get to hear more about a certain little puppy I've been seeing pictures of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Aurora! And thanks for writing about your favorites! I'm telling you that Benefit Mascara is serious business and I'm glad to hear the Revlon foundation is working for you.

    I have to check out that Coloricon Bronzer. I have been lusting over the lightest shade of that collection that really looks like more of a highlighter (Reserve Your Cabana). I love love love the e.l.f. golden bronzer!!! I use it to warm up my neck so it doesn't look like a different color than my face and I like that it has four colors that you mix because you can use them individually as well (I've been on such a highlight kick clearly, that you know thats what I use the lightest color for). I think the golden bronzer is the only make up item to date that I have actually hit pan on.

    The French Baguette candle smells AMAZING!!!!!!! Literally like you are inhaling freshly baked bread. Yum. Definitely keep your eyes peeled for the Joy for Soy candles. If you don't find them in the candle aisle, check those shelves by the registers because that's where I found them hiding. They had some really nice shades.

    Thanks again for the comment and you will absolutely be seeing my puppy in the coming posts. See you soon! xx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled on this post and I absolutely love it! Reading through your blog now its brilliant. So well put together!! ☮♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Sarah! And thanks for reading. I am new to your blog as well and I adore your photos! Rock 'n' roll! xx.

      Delete