Monday, May 20, 2013

Ipsy Bag May "Spring Fling" Review

Ciao tutti!

I have to say I am pretty impressed with Ipsy's May "Spring Fling" bag. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Ipsy, it is a monthly subscription that provides recipients with deluxe samples or full size beauty products for a flat rate of $10. Not only does Ipsy increase the exposure of both famed and burgeoning beauty brands, but also as a bag recipient you get to sample loads of products at a nice price! The brands in this month's bag included Anastasia, Zoya, Pacifica, Nume, and Urban Decay to name a few. Here's what I got in my bag...




Zoya Professional Lacquer in Neely
Beautiful color! Neely is a glossy, mint green polish with no shimmer. This is actually the first Zoya nail polish I have ever owned. It does look a bit like the L'Oreal polish I bought last month (Pistachio Dream from the Versailles Romance Collection) except Neely is not iridescent and might be a tad more blue depending on the light. I don't know how much use I'll get out of it since I already have a similar one, but I'm excited to see how long it lasts on my nails since this is a quality polish. ¡Está a la orden! Also, this was a full size sample.




Mirabella Colour Sheers Lipstick in Posy
Whenever I hear "color sheer" I am automatically skeptical, since it usually translates to "no real color pay off." That being said, this lipstick surprised me!! It feels really lightweight on the lips and while the color does not stay saturated for long, the lipstick does leave a nice stain so it's good for a "lazy" beauty day or layered under another lipstick. The shade is a bright, rosy pink which I feel would be flattering on many skin tones. Also, the formulation reminds me a bit of the Maybelline Color Whispers.






Pacifica Coconut Crushed Pearl Bronzing Body Butter
I don't know what to do with all of this summer nostalgia! This product is a delicious body butter (actually, it has a more lotion-y consistency) that is intended to liven up your skin with a radiant shimmer. I think this is great for an instant glowing effect and probably good for girls like me that don't tan too often. I will probably put this on my legs, since they have not been getting too much Vitamin D lately! There are many coconut-scented products out there, as you know, but the scent of this body butter reminded me most of the Vaseline Cocoa Butter lotion, so if you're a fan of that product and are looking for a little extra glow, I think you'd very much enjoy this.




This body butter is definitely more pinky-bronze.


Does this photo show the bronzy sheen at all? A little bit? I'll work on my lighting.

Pacifica Island Vanilla Perfume Roll-On
Let me tell you, I have REALLY been digging vanilla scented things as of late, which is a change for me since this scent has never been my go to (maybe because it's so sweet dessert-like? Don't get me wrong, I love desserts, I just really don't want to smell like one). I guess I have been underrating the complexity of vanilla. This perfume contains "Tahitian vanilla, loved for its fruity and slightly floral aroma, [and] is anchored with rich Bourbon vanilla notes." It is definitely subtle enough to wear in the day, but the Bourbon vanilla does come through strongly at first. This scent really reminds me of my beloved (and discontinued) L'Occitane Miel & Citron perfume, which is divine. Full size!




Yaby Concealer Refill in Honey (cc042)
When I initially subscribed to Ipsy, I filled out a very short questionnaire about my skin type, skin tone, and hair color to allegedly help Ipsy tailor the monthly products to my needs. I am no expert in operations and supply chain management but I can understand that individualization is not always possible. Unfortunately, this was not a good shade for my skin tone, as it was dark and WAY too yellow. This concealer was not too dry but also not too moisturizing so keep that in mind when you are trying it out. Is anyone in the market for this shade of concealer? 




Hugs and kisses...and some more hugs,
V.

Bonus Bits
  • I painted my nails! Here they are!
L'Oreal Pistachio Dream and Sally Hansen Celeb City
  • Puppy Toy Haul coming soon!!!
  • Yesterday I watched the movie Prometheus and I liked it more than I thought I would. I feel like everyone who saw it had something negative to say about the script, plot, etc. but I was not so disappointed. Maybe because I had such low expectations? Or maybe because Noomi Rapace is awesome??!
  • The rainstorm outside is INCREDIBLE! So happy to have the sounds to fall asleep to, but I hope no one's homes get flooded!

2 comments:

  1. just thought i'd share my favorite everyday scent, since it's vanilla-based: grapefruit vanilla by lavanila laboratories. i can't get enough of it!

    http://bit.ly/19JlYvS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, nice! I am not surprised you wear a fancy perfume because you are very fancy! Let me tell you, I am not usually a vanilla lover, but for some reason over the past month I have been just adoring vanilla scents. Maybe my nose is changing? And I am sure the citrus-vanilla combo is delicious! Thanks for sharing, I'll have to check the Lavanila fragrances next time I am in Sephora. See you in two weeks!

      Delete