Monday, May 6, 2013

MAC Haul

It has been quite a long time since I visited the MAC counter so I wanted to share some of my recent purchases with you. Very exciting!

Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Foundation in NC 20
This foundation has a little bit of a back story. Last November, I was cruisin' the MAC counter and was approached by a really nice associate who asked if I needed help finding anything. I asked for her advice on a light-coverage foundation and after a thorough examination of my options, she applied a small amount of SFF to my face and it looked INCREDIBLE. The foundation matched my skin tone so well and gave me the light coverage I was looking for. I ended up buying it.......and returning it the next day since I realized that I really didn't need a new foundation. When I went back to the MAC counter two weeks ago, I knew it was time to give this foundation a try and purchased it for good. I have oily/combination skin and this kept my T-zone oilyness at bay without making me look like I had suffered a Dementor's kiss (you know what I'm talking about). It lasted me a good 6 hours, although I did need to use an oil-absorbing sheet and powder my nose once during that time period. I would definitely recommend this foundation to anyone who has oily/combination skin or anyone who is not generally too psyched about liquid foundation but wants to try one since it is pretty lightweight.




Select Cover-Up Concealer in NW 20
I have yet to find a concealer that I would designate as a holy grail product (Do you have one?? Let me know about it!!) so I wanted to see what MAC had to offer. The make up artist at the counter suggested I try the Select Cover Up (which was also recommended by my friend/make up artist/great girl Alli Rubin) because it is easy to work with, provides light to medium coverage, and because it does not cake.





SFF and Select Cover-Up


Paint Pot in Painterly
The name of this shade absolutely fascinates me and reminds me of all the nights I spent with my head buried in my art history books. I'm being both cheesy and serious here. Paint pots are usually used as an eye color base so that your shadows really POP, but it can also be used alone to even out any discoloration or if you want a sheer wash of color. I chose this warm, nude tone to use under neutral eye shadows and because it reminded me of Renoir.





Cremesheen Lipstick in Creme Cup
A beautiful, beautiful pinky nude for everyday. I love how feminine this shade of lipstick is. As the name suggests, it has a creamy, moisturizing formulation with a subtle vanilla scent. The color comes off more milky than what you see in the bullet, but it is extremely pretty!




Satin Lipstick in Retro
I originally saw Tanya Burr mention this lipstick during a tutorial she did on Bella Swan in Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt. II. While the look was not something I would go to for every day, I definitely remained curious about this lipstick shade. When you swatch it, it looks like a...mauvy coral? Purple-toned terra cotta? I can't decide! It's pretty forgettable in the bullet, but once you swipe it on you can see what a complex shade it is. I also love how different the color can look depending on how you layer it. I would recommend this if you are looking for an alternative to a red lip that is still bold.





Sheertone Shimmer Blush in Plum Foolery
First of all, I love the name of this shade. It's snarky and playful and I love a good make up pun. Plum Foolery is a rosy, plum shade and contains gold shimmer particles. The blush is highly pigmented and is probably most complementary on more tan or darker skin tones, but it looks lovely on fair skin if you make sure to apply it with a light hand. I think this is going to become a summer staple.




Eyeshadow Quad: Shroom (Satin), Omega (Matte), Blackberry (Matte), and Brun (Satin)
These four shades together make for a (gorgeous) smokey, earthy eye appropriate for day and night! Omega is a gorgeous crease color (Hey blondes! This is also good for filling in your brows!), Shroom looks great on the lid or under your brow, Blackberry for the outer lid and blending into the crease, and Brun for lower lash line and outer v (Hey espresso-haired beauties! YOU can fill in your brows with this!). Seriously, these shadows are so versatile.


Clockwise from Upper Left: Shroom, Omega, Blackberry, & Brun


L-R: Plum Foolery, Eye Shadows, Creme Cup, & Retro 


Have you hauled anything from MAC recently? Had your eye on any MAC products for a while? Comment below and let me....know!

Stay gold, Ponyboys and Girls!

Love, V.

---------------------
Bonus Bits
  • Finally watched Looper. Amazing! I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt, prosthetic nose and all! JGL does so well in these time travel/multiple consciousness/dimension thrillers.
  • Saturday night I had a delicious Spanish dinner with my Dad: sangria, jamón serrano, chorizo cantimpalo, tortilla, y croquetas!
  • I spent Sunday afternoon with my Mom and Godmother laughing, hanging picture frames, and trying to decide on a name for my puppy (more info coming soon...)!
  • Game of Thrones! Oh my goodness!

4 comments:

  1. We need to go make up shopping. I want to try everything you just recommended. Although, something tells me that most of it won't match my skin tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, we should get together with Aurora and go make up shopping! I think some of these products would definitely work for you and your lovely skin tone and and besides, there are a million other shadows/lipsticks/foundations to try. Let's set a date.

      Delete
    2. Makeup shopping date soon please!

      Delete
  2. Hey V, I like the choices you made with the colors, esp the Paint Pot. When can you come w me to get a shimmering hiliter?

    M

    ReplyDelete