Wednesday, May 29, 2013

May Beauty Favorites!

Ahoy! I will spare you the standard "OMG how quickly this month has gone by!" and just say that I am happy we are entering a legitimate summer month. June is going to be extremely busy, jam-packed with work, travel, and even a furry new family member. So without further ado, below are the beauty items that have been staples for the month of May....

LUSH Vanillary Solid Perfume
Wow, my love for this perfume surprised even me! Containing notes of vanilla, jasmine, tonka bean, sandalwood, and burnt caramel, this scent is as delicious as it is sultry. It comes in a 0.4 oz. solid push up stick that is a yellow/cream color with tiny black particles. This is the first solid perfume I have ever tried and I am definitely a convert. I was worried that it wouldn't have any lasting power, but it did a good job of staying on my skin throughout the day. If I wanted to wear it day to night, I applied it twice: first in the morning before I left my home and a second time when I left the office. This perfume was under $10 and I have a feeling it is going to last forever. The only negative I can think of is that the black specks in the perfume do rub onto the skin and it's not entirely noticeable but it might be a bit of a turn off for some. Seriously, go buy this if you are a vanilla fan!


Yum!


You might be able to see some of the black specks, but just wipe 'em off!


Aveeno Skin Relief 24 Hour Moisturizing Lotion
This has been a lifesaver. My skin has not been doing so great these last two months. I have had extremely sensitive and irritated skin (I think due to a combination of allergies, stress, and medications), which has at times been almost unbearable. I haven't had hives or rashes, just intense itching on my arms, legs, and back. I had been using some deliciously scented body lotions to counteract my dry skin, which were only irritating me more, so I decided to use a more mild lotion so as to not exacerbate my sensitive skin. This lotion is completely unscented and is a nice consistency: not too runny, not too thick. I have also been using this as a shaving lotion! And it has been amazing! I have never been able to use "mainstream" shaving creams and gels (no Raspberry Rain for this girl!) because my legs start to sting as soon as the razor hits my skin. Imagine that feeling when you get into the ocean the same day you've shaved your legs. Okay, you know that feeling? Multiply that times a hundred and make the ocean full of poison ivy. That is what shaving my legs with regular shave gels usually feels like. This Aveeno lotion has helped get my skin back to a normal state and I highly recommend it as a shaving lotion for those of you struggling with dry skin conditions.






L'Oreal Infallible Lacquer Liner 24 Hour in Espresso
Dark brown liner is so underrated, I feel. I tend to be a little uncoordinated with pencil liners, so I usually reach for a cream or gel that I can apply with a brush. This L'Oreal liner is great if you are looking for a longwear gel liner. I think I wore this one close to 12 hours once and it did not fade, smudge, or run. It honestly did not budge (I haven't tested the claim that it lasts for 24 hours, but if I do, I will let you know)!!! It comes with a small flat, round tip brush (that actually resembles a lip brush?) and I liked this brush just fine if I couldn't fine my preferred angled liner brush. The espresso shade is deep, without having the stark look of a jet black liner. It can look "wet" or shiny after you apply it so if you are not going for that "vinyl liner" look, I would recommend going over it with any dark brown shadow.






Benefit Sugarbomb Box o' Powder
This is an oldie, but a goodie! Wow, I must have bought this blush over a year ago at which point I used it religiously (you can see from the packaging that this blush is well-loved), but then for whatever reason it kind of fell off my radar. My recent make up reorganization brought it back to my attention and I haven't been able to ignore it anymore. I love, love, love this powder for a really natural pink, nude flush. I love the Benefit powders that have multiple colors (this one has "peach, soft plum, pink, and rose") because the colors are very complimentary but you can actually use them separately if you'd like. I usually swirl them all together when I first apply the blush and then (according to my mood) dust one of the individual colors on my cheeks more heavily to deepen the shade. The result is a really nice, casual look, excellent for day time or that "no make up" make up look. This looks nice on fair to medium skin tones, but I think it might be too subtle for my dark skinned ladies. Also, I think this is the first blush I have actually ever hit pan on!!!!! Which is exciting because it means I actually use up some of my beauty products!!! 




Did I mention that this blush smells lovely?

L-R: All 4 colors, peach, rose, pink, soft plum


Mauve Eyeshadow from the Lorac Pro Palette
How I have yet to hit pan on this shadow, I know not. This color is insanely beautiful. The Pro Palette came out last fall I believe, and is arguably one of the best high end palettes on the market. The full palette has a total of 16 shadows (8 matte and 8 shimmer) and I would have to say that the number of day and night looks you can achieve with the palette is countless. I could go on and on about it, BUT I am here to talk to you about the stand out shade for me: Mauve. I like to put this dusty purple shade all over my lid. It gives a total Romantic (capital R!) feel to your eye make up, which I adore. Think A Midsummer Night's Dream and a forest full of ethereal fairies. There is only one word to describe the formulation of this shade and that word is "buttery." It is a very pigmented shadow, so you don't need much to get a nice wash of color. It can be a bit powdery, so just be sure to tap off excess on the brush or be ready to clean up any fall out. 

Top Row: Matte. Bottom Row: Shimmer.


Just darling!


Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer in Nude
This is another rediscovered product. I've been aiming for a low-maintenance morning routine and this tinted moisturizer fits in perfectly. I really love the consistency of this moisturizer, as it is not runny and it thickens a bit as you apply it, which makes me feel like I am using a product with good coverage. I have some redness in my cheeks and this moisturizer does neutralize that, especially if I layer a powder over it. It has SPF 20, which is always nice, is oil-free and good for sensitive skin (bonus!). Most importantly, it is non-comedogenic, which is my #1 criteria for skin care products. The finish is described as "natural, semi-matte...for a healthy, natural glow," which I think is pretty accurate since I do get a dewy finish to my skin after a few hours (and I mean dewy, not oily) and I only powder once in the day when I wear this moisturizer. At $43 it is definitely on the pricey side, but worth the splurge. 





As always, I would love to hear about what you were loving in May, so please let me know in the comments. I get so excited to hear others' recommendations!!


Aw man, no more May flowers?? Just June, July, and August showers from here on out! xx.
V.

Bonus Bits
  • 2 more days until Xabi comes home!
  • Only two more weeks until my cousin Mari Epi's wedding in Puerto Rico! And only three more weeks until my cousin Jose's wedding in Arizona! So many nuptials in June!
  • Update on my BB&B and Target Haul post, I ended up returning the Neutrogena Shine Control Primer because it did, in fact, make my T- zone look similarly (or even more?) oily than if I had not used a primer. Bummer.

3 comments:

  1. Great reviews! I've been wanting to try some Lush products. Can you believe I've never bought any before? I might treat myself next week, and if I do I'll look for that solid perfume. As for my favorites, I recently purchased NYX's waterproof concealer (it's a light blue stick) and I love it. I put it on with a brush under my eyes and it stays on all day with great coverage. My other current favorites are textured nail polishes. I've tried OPI Liquid Sand, Zoya PixieDust, and China Glaze Textures, all in several colors. My favorites are the Zoyas - so glittery in the sun!! I just ordered some more with the promotion from last month's Ipsy bag. Other than that, I've just been buying way too many shoes and clothes! I have a few fashion favorites, if you're interested. And I'm also looking forward to June - my birthday month! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aurorita! Oh man, LUSH will blow your mind. Get ready to fall in love with everything, pretty much. Are you a floral, citrus, or vanilla scent lover?

      OH WOW, that concealer stick looks amazing!! I definitely have to try it when I run out of one of mine. What shade do you wear?

      I want to see photos of your nails with the Pixiedust polishes! Did you try What Wizardry is This? I am still so intrigued by that shade.

      I am definitely interested in your fashion favorites!! Happy Birthday Month! xx.

      Delete
    2. Hey! So I thought I had replied, lol.

      I like floral scents and vanilla slash cupcakey slash chocolatey scents. Pretty much anything that smells delicious.

      I bought the NYX concealer in medium. I'm still using it every day :)

      I let my friend borrow What Wizardry is This and it looks amazing. I haven't used it yet, but I've posted pics of some of the other textured polishes on my Instagram. Next on the list to try is a Sally Hansen "fuzzy effect" polish. I already know that one won't actually be textured, it will just have a fuzzy look. It's a clear base with small bar glitters, which I usually don't like. We'll see how it goes.

      Fashion favorites are mostly from Old Navy, Target, and JCPenney. I recently got the Old Navy credit card and I've been buying everything from there!! Don't know if that was a good idea or a bad one, lolol.

      Delete