Monday, August 5, 2013

Ulta Haul.

Happy Monday!

Yesterday I spent some much needed rainy afternoon "me time" at Ulta. My #1 mission was to purchase a new powder foundation to replace my Laura Geller Balance and Brighten Foundation.



What once looked like that...
...now looks like this.

However, a few other choice items made their way into my bag...

Purminerals 4-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup (with SPF 15!) in Light and Golden Medium

I bought a starter pack from Purminerals ages ago and I really loved how the foundation lasted on my face. It gave me a high coverage look without having to put on multiple layers. I love the ease of applying powder foundation in general. The 4-1 Mineral Make Up claims to be your foundation, powder, concealer, and SPF all in one, but I definitely still use concealer under my eyes. I remember this make up doing a good job of evening out my complexion, neutralizing the redness in my cheeks, and keeping t-zone oilyness to a minimum. 

The company was having an August Buy-1-Get-1-Free event, which was lucky for me because I was unsure about which shade would be best so I left with two! I could absolutely not decide between the Light and Golden Medium shades because while they gave my face completely different looks, they both matched my coloring really nicely. I'm not sure this translates in the photos below, but both compacts have yellow undertones, which suits my skin very well. The Light shade really gives me that traditional porcelain skin look. I would definitely need to wear blush and bronzer with this, because I do look pale in this shade, but overall I find the effect to be really lovely since I quite like when my skin looks very fair (not sickly, but fair). The Golden Medium shade gives my face a bit more color, which is good because as much as this is a travesty I have to admit that I have gotten ZERO sun this summer. 






L-R: Golden Medium, Light.


L-R: Golden Medium, Light.
NYX Cream Blush in Tickled
My latest gallivant with Butter London's Cheeky Blush has left me totally buzzing about cream blushes. I received a NYX Cream Blush in my June Ipsy bag and loved it so I couldn't pass up this shade in the same formulation. Tickled is a pinky orange blush with a gold sheen. Absolutely beautiful. I think the orange and gold in this product make it the perfect blush to transition into Autumn!






Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover
I purchased this product at the recommendation of my lovely best friend, Annie, who swears by this stuff!I have the most (what's a good word...) sticky? cuticles in the world! They adhere so tightly to my nail that no amount of cuticle moisturizing will make them easy to work with. I think about 98% of the manicurists I have ever been to comment on how difficult my cuticles are to remove. This is a light blue liquid/gel consistency that dissolves cuticles. Here's hoping that this will solve some of my cuticle woes.




Baby Lips Electro Lip Balm in Oh! Orange!

As a lip balm/chapstick aficionado I am shocked to say that this is my first Baby Lips! I have been so tempted on all of my drugstore trips to pop one of these into my basket, but it has always fallen to the bottom of my make up priority list. If you'll recall, my beautiful best friend Ayesha includes Baby Lips in her staple make up look and she also swears by these so I figured I'd better catch up! There were only two shades when I was at Ulta and this seemed to be the most pigmented one so I am looking forward to trying it.



And lastly...

NYX Parallel Worlds Make Up Collection

There was no way I could leave the store without this perfect little box of make up. I am a massive fan of Cassandra Clare, her characters, and her writing and I think it is brilliant that NYX took advantage of the upcoming premiere of City of Bones to release a small make up collection inspired by the make up looks of Clary and Isabelle. I am preparing a post that is a full review of the collection (plus make up looks!), so until then I will leave you with these photos of the packaging!



This is the top of the box. I love the artwork!

Six FULL SIZE products!


I hope you have enjoyed this! Have you hauled any beauty items recently?

Hugs and kisses to you, my sweet reader.
-V.

Bonus Bits
  • My little pup Xabi is sick! Thankfully, my mom was able to take him to the veterinarian this morning. He needs antibiotics, but he is going to be okay! I would appreciate any positive puppy vibes you can throw our way.
  • I cut 5 inches off of my hair last week! Whoa! It feels so good!
  • Book Haul coming soon...
  • So many coming soons!

11 comments:

  1. Nice purchases!
    I want to try that 4-in-1!
    Dumb question #1: When do you (or should you) wear bronzer?
    Looking forward to pick your beauty brain very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I really like the 4-in-1 and would definitely recommend you go try it on. It's a lot easier, I find, for the work week or for a low maintenance look that still gives you good coverage.

      The only dumb questions are the ones that go unasked! Bronzer makes a person's face look more "sunkissed." You brush it on the high points of the face where the sun would naturally hit so across the nose, on the tops of cheekbones, browbones, forehead, and chin. Some people also use bronzer to contour the face and to make it look more angular.

      Hopefully we can coordinate our schedules and hang soon!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! We're still on for the nail party this Sunday afternoon, right? Maybe we can run to Ulta and you can show me this 4-in-1!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! If you remember I bought the Purminerals 4 in 1 a few months ago (under your wise direction) and I wanted to share my thoughts. I do think it's a great product for light coverage and everyday wear, especially now in the hot and humid summer months. But the coverage is a bit lighter than I'd like for my skin type. I don't think it does a good job evening my skin tone, or maybe it just wears off too soon. Perhaps I need your help with the application though, because I don't think I've been able to apply it as well as when you helped me at Ulta. Overall I love the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes, the 4-in-1 looks so nice on you! Wear time on these things can vary based on whether or not you use a primer, your skin type, if you do more sweating that usual, etc. But I would recommend wearing a primer with this for that added longevity and skin smoothing (you are still using Porefessional right?). Also, I find that this powder wears best if you really BUFF it into your skin versus the traditional patting it on or swiping it on.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the NYX Parallel Worlds Make Up Collection, I know where I am going to this weekend... ULTA ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady, you need to get your hands on this!

      Delete
    2. I already did and loving it. I need help figuring out how to apply the eyeshadow as instructed in the Look book but the colors are fabulous.

      Delete
  5. I hope Xabi feels better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! He is still coughing a lot when he wakes up and boy oh boy is it a mission to get him to take his antibiotics, but he is his cheery self again so I am happy about that. Have a nice day!

      Delete
    2. Aww glad to hear that, he's a little trooper I see. Please post more pictures of Xabi, I would love to see him. :)

      Delete