Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Shop My Stash!

Aloha! 

I first saw this shop my stash theme on Emily Noel's blog and I thought it would be excellent to bring to The Violet Hour. When you shop your stash, you are essentially pulling out unused or forgotten items in your beauty collection and placing them back into regular rotation instead of buying new products. It's a beauty renaissance!



Welcome back,...


Benefit Stay Don't Stray in Light 
A long-time Benefit lover, I bought this more on impulse than necessity and it was the first eye shadow primer I ever owned. I like that it evens out discoloration on my eye lid and I would say it extends the wear of my shadows so that they last all day without creasing. This primer increases the longevity of my shadow but it did not necessarily improve the vibrancy of shadow colors. I don't know that it makes my undereye concealer last longer, but since it is tinted it does add a layer of coverage than I can appreciate. I think the reason I haven't been reaching for this is because it's been replaced by my MAC Paint Pot in Painterly (although I wouldn't wear Painterly in my undereye area). Stay Don't Stray now comes in Light and Dark shades!



Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light Bisque
Hello, bright eyes! Bobbi Brown corrector is a pink/peach base to be worn under concealer to help cancel out any darkness in the undereye area. I don't know how I ever let this adorable little compact slip under my radar. I tend to have a bit of purple-toned darkness under my eyes and I absolutely see a reduction in this when I use this corrector. It applies easily and does not dry out my eyes area. In short, I would recommend this to anyone with undereye circles. Also, depending on the shade, I have seen people use this in lieu of a concealer. On the Bobbi Brown website, there is mention that this product is creaseless when worn under concealer, but I have experienced some creasing with it in the past, so just make sure you set it with powder and give your self a quick mirror check before walking out the door. 




Maybelline Mega Plush Mascara
Maybelline mascaras are hit or miss for most people, but I am way into really separated, feathery looking lashes and this is an excellent mascara if that's what you're into. For a seriously done up look, I would recommend curling your lashes and applying three coats of this mascara, combing through your lashes between each coat. I have tried both the original and waterproof formulas of this mascara and I would recommend the original formula since it is less drying than the waterproof and therefore doesn't give the same effect of having a million fanned out lashes like the original formula does. Only downfall is the wiggly brush (what is this about?), but it's easy to get used to.




MAC Sheertone Blush in Peaches
My beloved Peaches! Has there ever been a more perfect sheer peach blush than thee? Peaches was my first MAC blush and it is the most lovely soft orange color. When I purchased this I went in looking for a peach blush that was nice enough to be visible but not so loud that it would clash with a red lip look that I was going for. It came down to Peaches and another Sheertone blush called Gingerly, which ended up being a bit too bronze for me. My favorite pieces to pair with Peaches (say that 5 times fast) are my MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation (I wear NC20. The yellow-undertones look so nice with this blush) and MAC Brun eye shadow for bold brows!




Revlon Lip Butter in Red Velvet
Despite archaic beauty rules regarding season-appropriate lip colors, red lips are classic all year-round (or at least they should be!!!). Red Velvet has been part of the permanent lip butter collection for a while and I am surprised at just how buildable this color is. I have worn it really sheer in the daytime for a strawberry-stained look and amped it up to a bold crimson in the evening. This is probably an underrated lip butter.




Swatches!




Have you been neglecting any make up products?

Hugs and more hugs to you!
V.

Bonus Bits
  • Xabi started a new obedience class this weekend and he did so well!
  • Liverpool play Manchester United this Sunday! I love Red War Days.
  • 2.5 more weeks until Mumford & Sons!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. Who knows how many make up items I have in my stash that I don't use. I know some of the stuff I have is untouched because I didn't know how to use it. We should have a stash party!

    I love that Revlon lipstick from you stash. (Ofcourse I do. It's a red/berry color.) I've tried two different lip butters from them and they dry my lips out. :/ Always on the look out for a drug store brand lipstick that won't dry me out. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking very hard about your question. First things first, I am also concerned about lipstick drying my lips out so I understand you! I remember last time we went to Ulta you picked out a lip butter that didn't have glitter flecks in it. Is that the one that dried your lips out too? What a bummer! Let's see, other ones to try would be the Maybelline Color Whispers--they are pretty lightweight, and the color selection is great but they don't last as long on the lips. I think you'd like the shade Berry Ready. I've also had good luck with the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains (what a mouthful!) if I wear them under the Color Whispers or just top off with another lip balm. Also, I would suggest trying any one of the newer Revlon Super Lustrous Shine lipsticks, since they have a lighter, creamier texture.

      It has also helped me to exfoliate my lips regularly. LUSH sells this totally awesome lip scrub that I love and you can also find some super great DIY lip scrub recipes online. Uh-oh, did I just get an idea for a Lorraine-Aurora-Vicki girl date????! (Felipe and Rigo should be there, too.). xoxo.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try these slowly. Hopefully I can find a good drug store brand that doesn't dry me out. I'm also interested in making my own lip scrub since I can't splurge on anything now. I would love a girl date including the guys. hehe! Just as long as it's not too pricey of an outing.

    ReplyDelete